Blog Archive

Monday, June 19, 2017

Funeral

NO mother should ever have to bury her child. My son and I went to the funeral of one of his best friends on Saturday.  Danny was found with a needle in his arm in a public bathroom. I told my son that this is one of my biggest fears....getting that phone call or knock on the door.  

We talked about how he was feeling - sad of course. He said that Danny was like the little brother he never had. They even looked alike. Blond hair, blue eyes...model good looks. Seeing him in that casket will be forever emblazoned in our memories. I think his mom did that on purpose; be it intentionally on purpose or subconsciously on purpose. But it was purposeful. A lot of the boys (to me they will always be boys even tho they are all in their early to mid 20s) who attended were other addicts....most in recovery.  Hopefully it will make them think twice before they pick up a needle or pipe. Hopefully they will remember how sad the loss of their friend was...that addiction caused his death. Hopefully they will choose to get help.

When I dropped my son off at his house, he said to me "Don't worry mom, I no longer call my dope dealer, I call my HOPE dealer." His 'hope' dealer is his sponsor. I want hug his sponsor...when I get to meet him, that is the first thing I am going to do.   


One of his roommates told me they had just lost another friend to an overdose. But together in this house, they are family and together they will all get thru this. This daily fight for their lives. 

No comments:

Post a Comment