Blog Archive

Friday, July 28, 2017

Taking Ownership

My son and I went out to the lunch the other day after he cleared his paperwork with the DMV and got his driver's license reinstated. Another step forward.  At lunch we were talking about his job and how he should be wearing sunscreen as he is out in the sun all day. I told him he will thank me when he is older.  Me being mom. Then we got on the subject of retirement and its never too soon to think of saving a little money. He flat out looked at me and said "I just quit slamming heroin a few months ago, I am pretty sure I am not going to worry about my retirement at this point."  At first this made me laugh out loud. It was that in your face kind of funny that my son can pull off really well. However, later that night I realized that what he said was more of him taking ownership than anything. In the past he had always referred to using as 'doing the shit' or some other such reference but had never ever once referred to it for what it was. Slamming Heroin. Taking ownership and responsibility. Not being the victim but the victor. 

I know these are steps. Small steps that add up to giant leaps. One day at a time. These next few days are going to be a challenge. He has to find an interim sponsor as his direct sponsor is going out of town on a job for three months. I pray that the person he asks agrees....he was a mentor at the rehab facility and has continued to mentor my son. 

Today is day 111.


Never give up, for that is just the place and time where the tide will turn.

No comments:

Post a Comment