Blog Archive

Wednesday, August 16, 2017

Another Overdose

My son lost another friend to an overdose the other day. A friend he worked with. A friend he was in recovery with. A friend who lost the battle to addiction. His friend had been sent home early from work on Friday because their boss knew something was off. My son had a feeling Sean was was using again. On Sunday Sean called my son and wanted to hang out...called him several times, left several messages. My son blew him off on purpose, knowing he was using, knowing he didn't want to be put in a position that would risk his sobriety. On Tuesday, he and another friend went over to the sober living house that Sean was living in to check up on him and hopefully get him back in to detox. The house manager told them that he had found Sean dead in the bathroom the day before from an overdose. 

During lunch my son and I talked about this. He told me he was feeling grief and guilt mixed together. He was sad because he and Sean had really connected. Had hung out several times. Guilty because he blew him off. He knows this is not his fault. He knows that no one can make you get clean. You have to want it. It doesn't suck any less. Doesn't make it any easier. 

My son's name is the same...that was their other connection...same name, spelled differently. 

We are starting to make plans as a family again. I can't tell you how much I have missed doing that. We just made plans to go to Catalina next month. HUGE STEP!  HUGE!! My son is even going to ask the girl he is dating to go with us. She is not in recovery, not an addict. I will hopefully get to meet her soon. 

One Step at a Time. Those steps have added up to 130 days.


Determination gives you the resolve to keep going in spite of the roadblocks that lay before you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment